Mold —it’s not a glamorous subject, but unfortunately, it’s a topic that most homeowners encounter at least once or twice during their lives.

Q: What is mold?

A: Mold is made up of small organisms that grow by releasing spores. There are a variety of different mold species which grow in different climates and locations. Mold decomposes matter in nature, such as wood or dead plants; however, in the home, it can break-down essential material and compromise the safety of you and your family.

Q: Why does mold grow?

A: Mold grows anywhere there is moisture. It grows naturally in the wild, but it can also grow on nearly any surface in your home. Leaks in ceilings, unexpected water sources, and high humidity can all increase the growth of mold around your house.

Q: Is mold dangerous to my health?

A: Mold can release spores into the air when moved. It can also be consumed accidentally through eating moldy food or by touching an object covered with mold. The danger of mold depends on the variety. Some molds are quite harmless. Others, however, can cause a variety of unpleasant symptoms to people. Some symptoms can include a skin rash, trouble breathing, and headaches, although there are many more possible side-effects to a mold reaction.

Q: How do I know when I have a mold problem in my home?

A:There are a number of different ways you can spot mold growth in your home. Firstly, mold growth often coincides with a musty smell. Secondly, mold can often look like small black of white dots. If you notice these markings in an area with a high moisture content, such as a bathroom, along with a musty smell, then chances are there is mold present in your home.

Q: What spots in my home are most susceptible to mold growth?

A: Mold can grow anywhere there is moisture present; however, some areas of your home are prone to mold growth more so than others. Rooms with less dryness and more moisture, such as a bathroom, kitchen, or basement, are more likely to have mold growth than drier areas of the house. Additionally, any spot that shows water damage, such as a leak in the roof, is also highly susceptible to mold.

 Q: Can mold grow on objects other than my walls?

A: Yes, mold can grow on a variety of different materials and objects. Mold grows on moisture-rich surfaces; therefore, any surface that has the ability to collect moisture has the potential for mold growth. The procedure for cleaning moldy objects differs on the material. Mold growth on sturdy materials such as plastic and glass should be handled with lukewarm water and detergent. Fabric can be washed normally in the laundry, but should be carefully dried after to ensure all moisture is removed.

Household mold damage occurs rapidly and to contain it, you must act quickly. The longer you wait, the more mold damage takes place. If there is more than a small amount of mold in your house, you should get professional help from a team of trained mold removal professionals.