A flood can be one of the most dangerous natural disasters to affect your home. This may be something that could happen to you and if it does here are some things to be aware of. Most of the time, flooding is caused by a body of water overflowing or heavy rains in short periods of time, thus leading to your sump pump or drainage system not being able to remove the water as quickly as it comes in or simply not working at all. Since it’s water, it can deteriorate important things you own and can cause serious damage to your property.
Let’s assume that your home has been flooded, what do you do? If you don’t know what to do after your home is flooded, then here are some important tips:
- Stay out of water.
- After a flood, you want to be on high ground, if possible.
- Also, understand that there is not much that can be done until flood water has receded.
- Safety first! If you absolutely need to enter the area that is flooded rubber boots and rubber gloves are very necessary to help avoid harm.
- Once floodwaters have receded, having a furnace, water heater, and electrical box checked is a must.
- Contact your insurance company to find out coverage. IMPORTANT Not everyone has or offers flood coverage. Knowing your policy is very valuable to you.
- Then it is time to call in a water restoration company, who will know the steps to take care of your current situation.